Barbie Bending Update!

I get lots of emails asking for schematics and general info on bending different items.
The one piece I get the most emails about is the Barbie Karaoke Machine. So I’ve decided to simplify things by making schematics I’m commonly asked for available on my site.
I’ve added a new page to the “finished pieces” section called Barbie Bending.
So far I’ve added info on bending the echo IC in the BKM and a step by step tutorial on installing a high quality motor speed control.

COMING SOON

Echo pitch and decay.
Tape deck OUT to echo IN routing.

11 Responses to “Barbie Bending Update!”

• 1

GetLoFi » Barbie Karaoke Machine Circuit Bending said:
    September 4th, 2006 at 1:18am #

[…] Pete of Casperelectronics.com recently updated his website to include a blog. The very latest entry is a nice virtually step by step guide to circuit bending a Barbie Karaoke tape machine with echo effect. These rather pink devices are readily available on eBay for cheap. The resulting sounds are devastating to say the least. The tape motor control mod is also posted and I am sure can be applied to any tape device. The key appears to be the use of a voltage regulator, which outputs a steady voltage without effecting the rest of circuitry too much. […]

• 2

Matthew Kleinmann said:
    September 10th, 2006 at 12:34pm #

You might want to look into using a microcontroller rather then a normal voltage regulator here. If you use a micro you can use PWM to drive the motor and get better control at low RPM’s.

• 3

xyzzy said:
    September 10th, 2006 at 8:59pm #

MAKE SAYS “Cicuit”, tell them to fix it to “Circuit”

• 4

pikaboo said:
    September 14th, 2006 at 11:16am #

I can’t wait for the ”Echo pitch and decay and the ”Tape deck OUT to echo IN routing”…! 😉

• 5

zach fisher said:
    September 17th, 2006 at 11:09pm #

pete – thanks alot for all the info you have provided for this piece. i am also looking forward to the Echo pitch and decay and the Tape deck OUT to echo IN routing. cant wait to fully bend a few of these myself!

• 6

pete said:
    September 19th, 2006 at 12:14pm #

pitch, decay and tape routing schematics are up! hazzah

• 7

Alexey said:
    September 22nd, 2006 at 2:24pm #

Thanks, theme very interesting.

• 8

Alex123 said:
    October 12th, 2006 at 12:33pm #

Hi, thet’s good! It’s NICE SITE !!! 123 !

• 9

aimee houston said:
    March 28th, 2007 at 4:28am #

it so good but what i wont to no is how do you do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XxaimeexX

• 10

michael page said:
    May 9th, 2008 at 4:00pm #

call me a big thicky but how do you route the aux into the echo circuit?
    cheers! (im building mine into a shiney black 80’s phone! (its going to be sweet!))

• 11

l'enregistreur said:
    May 8th, 2013 at 11:31am #

yep, aux echo routing tips is some I’d love to get too.
    cheers