synth research

I’ve been working on an analog synthesizer design approach which invites musical AND developmental creativity. So far Ive been playing with breadboard/control panel hybrid systems which allow knob tweaking and on-the-fly circuit development. We’ll see how it develops. In the meantime I’ve been having a lot of fun with an oscilloscope hooked up to my prototype unit. Its a long video but its worth a full play through. So many crazy patterns!

6 Responses to “synth research”

• 1

Simon said:
    October 6th, 2012 at 7:17am #

I love the sounds you are getting with this! Will you be making it available? Many thanks. S

• 2

casper said:
    October 23rd, 2012 at 8:17am #

@Simon. This circuit needs lots of work before I will consider making PCBs available. There is lots of info including schematics here. Its a crude little synth that uses a few cheap tricks to make cool sounds. You just need a few VCOs and a few ring modulators and you can do a lot of cool stuff! The magic comes from making feedback loops between the oscillators.

• 3

Matt Hill said:
    October 28th, 2012 at 2:34pm #

This is so cool. I am really looking forward to your future kits.

• 4

Simon said:
    November 5th, 2012 at 11:35am #

Many thanks for the answer I will check out the links!

• 5

Simon said:
    November 5th, 2012 at 11:45am #

I will check back to see if you ever do make the PCB available. Also did you make the other pcb’s available for the ‘mini modular noise synth?

• 6

Keaton said:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 12:48am #

That is dope! After I graduate with my EE degree I’m considering the Institute of Sonology for my master’s studies — in many parts due to you. Looking forward to more updates! :)